Tuesday, February 1

Working Class

Today, we cleaned the house. And by "we" I mean myself, my children and my husband. We have totally re-vamped our chore system. Whatever it was we have tried in the past, none of it has worked for any great length of time. It bugged me a great deal, not only because I really like living in a nice, clean house, but because I want to teach my children cleanliness and responsibility and work ethic and satisfaction in a job well done. Home is the lab for so many skills one simply does not learn elsewhere! This really IS the working class for the rest of life.

So, at lunch a few days ago, we absolved our children of all pre-assigned chores. No more "you're on dishes, he's on laundry, I'm on vacuuming." Nope, now we all help in all areas. Like at the Home Depot, where those tacky orange aprons that every employee wears says "Hello, my name is _____, and I help in all departments!"

And we work together! I pick the most pressing task, call everyone together, and we blitz it. Chores that used to take hours of nagging and whining and threatening and procrastination are suddenly done in 25 minutes of cooperation with a dash of comradery. It's not all cupcakes and sunshine, but it has changed the spirit in our home almost over night. We are a lot tidier, too. Not all the time, mind you. There are still nine people rattling around in this house all day long, and I am no Martha Stewart. It turns out, though, that my children all know they will be part of the clean-up team, and are therefore mysteriously self-motivated to maintain it. Sweet.

Today, I am thankful for our new working class. Particularly the part where it works!

What are you blessed with today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share: