Wednesday, February 2

New Faces

Today, for the first time ever, I hosted a home school party at my house. I dreaded it and couldn't wait for it, all at the same time.

It was a Valentines party. My daughter spent the morning making sugar cookies. We all helped clean. We have spent the last several days making crafty decorations to spiffy up our house and make things festive. I planned the activities, and sent out the invite + timely reminders (since I know from personal experience how forgetful home school moms can be!).

Three different families came. My home was fullfullFULL of active, slightly-cabin-feverish kids, and there were only three adults on the premesis. An amazing array of red, white, and pink sweets materialized in my kitchen. A blizzard of craft supplies attacked the dining room. Crafting ensued, with snarfing up of said sweets trailing closely behind. Goofiness followed.

Sounds like a headache-inducing disaster? It wasn't. It could have been, but it wasn't at all. It was wonderful! The craft activity did not go the way I had envisioned, but no one cared, so I made the conscious decision not to care. The children had fun, I got to meet a whole new home school family in our area, and we got to talk and visit and get acquainted for almost two whole hours.

It was lovely. And before they went home, all of the kids got down on the floor and picked up. So when ten extra kids left, my home was still clean! I'm not in a hurry to throw another party (...well, OK, in my head, I am, but for real, I'm not), but this one was great.

Today, I am thankful for the chance to have people over at my house for a fun activity, and for my children to make some new friends, and for an opportunity for me to meet new faces.

What have you been blessed with today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share: