Friday, February 4

Talk-Talk-Talk

Today is Friday. I can hold out all week long, no matter how hectic it gets, because I know that if I can just make it to Friday, I get to go out. I am such a lucky girl. My husband takes me out of the house and away from my mundania every week to the mystical and magical realm of Date Night. What bliss!

Oh, all right. Not every date night is bliss. Sometimes, we are too exhausted to do anything worth bragging about. Sometimes, the only thing we can think of to do (or can afford!) is put the kids to bed and watch a movie on NetFlix instant watch. But to me, a movie is the lamest cop-out for a date.

Some date nights are much better. We have gone visiting to friends, we have eaten out, we once toured the Basilica nearby...it doesn't matter what we do, really, just that we are doing something (anything!) together.

My favorite date night activity? Talking.

Stop it. Don't laugh. I'm not the only one that talks. I also get to listen while my husband talks. I love it. We can talk anywhere: while we're watching the moon rise; in a corner booth at a restaurant as we each nurse a soda; in the Student Union building's reading room (they have such comfy couches!); holding hands on the swings at the park; walking aimlessly through the supermarket...It's basically the most romantic thing ever.

It is also much more effective than therapy. I really enjoy hearing what goes on in my husband's week and in his head. I enjoy how he listens to me and the minutia I am prone to drone on about. I find myself saving up thoughts and observations to bring up on date nights, just to get his take on things.

Talking. Talk-Talk-Talk. Don't knock it. It's about the best date night activity ever. And it's free! Talking keeps us a team, and keeps us up to speed on each other's lives and hopes and dreams. I am so grateful for the opportunity to go out and to talk to my husband, and to listen to him talk.

What are you blessed with today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share: