Sunday, June 19

Dad Proxy

Sometimes Fathers Day is hard for me. It's very easy to feel sorry for myself, if I choose to focus on what is missing. I choose to focus on something else. 

My own father has not been a part of my life for many, many years. My parents separated when my husband and I were expecting our first child.

It was very hard. But God never lets me go into a dark place without someone to guide me through. 

In this case, several someones. And not just for me, but for my whole family. I'm on the older end, my youngest brother was five. When our family fell apart, Heavenly Father had more than a few "spare" parents waiting in the wings to help put us back together. 

Through the years, I have been mothered by many, many women. And just as many good men have filled the "Good Dad" role. My mother, my brothers, my sisters and I have all been ministered to, mentored by, taught, teased, counseled, and served by proxy dad after proxy dad. Each of these men have stepped up when the need was there, filled the empty shoes, and then quietly moved out of the spotlight. 

I am grateful for all of the proxy dads in my life, and in the lives of my family. I am grateful for the time and energy they have selflessly given, and for their families who have willingly shared their own dad with us. I am grateful for faithful home teachers, who go the extra mile, and for priesthood leaders who follow through on promptings and inspiration. I am so blessed to be surrounded by righteous fathers, good men all of them. It is one of my favorite parts about this Church. I am grateful for my husband who is an excellent father to my children. I am forever indebted to his father, who showed him how to be a good dad. 

Above all, I am grateful for my Father in Heaven, who loves me and watches out for me. Knowing that makes everything bearable. I know I am His princess, and that He pampers me with everything I could ever need, and so many things that I want. The list of gifts from my Father is endless.

What are you blessed with today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share: