Tuesday, January 18

Beautiful World

I married a poet. Once, whilst working the dreaded night shift, he wrote a poem with the opening line, "Why did God make a beautiful world when a plain one would have done just as well?"


January makes it easy for me to stay home and stay inside. This morning, however, my toddler came to me and, beckoning with his hand, said, "C'mon, Momma!" and drew me to the back door. He had spied a cat in the yard, and was putting on his boots and opening the door before I could effectively distract him. The thought crossed my mind that he hadn't been outside for days (and neither had I), so I followed him out into the sunshine, buttoning my coat as we went.


The cat came willingly to him, and they had a moment of friendship. Then he discovered that the snow made a delightful crunch under his boots, so he stamped around off the sidewalk for a bit. And I followed him following the cat down the driveway.  He was occupied with the cat, and the snow, and I was trying not to be impatient.  I looked up, and realized the air was full of fine, sparkling snow, drifting gently on the breeze. It took my breath away.


Later, just before dinner, I ran to the store for an essential ingredient.  As we were pulling out of the driveway, I noticed the brilliant gold and blue and orange of the setting sun; and the deep blue of the sky to the North.  Enchanting.  The sky in winter seems as though it is trying to make up for the lack of color in the rest of the world.


So, why did God make a beautiful world, when a plain one would have done just as well?  


Another poet, Robinson Jeffers, wrote:
Is it not by his high superfluousness we know
Our God? For to be equal a need
Is natural, . . . : but to fling Rainbows over the rain
And beauty above the moon, and secret rainbows On the domes of deep sea-shells,
And make the necessary embrace of breeding Beautiful also as fire,
Not even the weeds to multiply without blossom
Nor the birds without music. . . (read a great article that references this poem here.) 



I love that thought: secret rainbows on the domes of deep sea-shells.  Today I am grateful for beauty all around me, free for just the small effort of seeking it.


What are you blessed with today?

1 comment:

  1. Today I'm so grateful for temples. They were the topic of our discussion in seminary this morning. A few of my own questions about temples and worthiness were answered, and it was just wonderful to discuss and share the beauties of the Lord's house and each of our experiences there. The Spirit was strong, and helped me to appreciate even more the existence of temples, and be so grateful for my own personal worthiness to be able to enter therein.

    ReplyDelete

Please share: