Wednesday, June 8

Personhood

My baby is becoming more and more aware of the world around her. She notices people and noises, and is curious. She particularly likes shiny things, and will roll and scoot all the way across the living room, past all her toys, to get to the silver pen her sister is using.

I am delighted and fascinated to watch her learn and notice and progress, even though she is my seventh baby to go through the process. I love to watch as something new interests her, or how she tries to figure something out, or even when she is bored - her face is so expressive!

It is rewarding and introspective for me to see my little baby grow into her personhood. She has always been this person, but she is learning more ways to express who she has always been.

This is the same with all my children; everyone, really. Even me. I didn't see it at first, I was too busy watching the wonder of it to notice the patterns. But there it is, in the life and experiences of each and every one of us. We progress through the ages and stages of life, at first it happens rapidly, but it slows down more and more, until I'm me, in my thirties, learning new stuff at a snail's pace...but still learning.

I'm grateful for personhood.  Each human being I meet is a real, complex, feeling person with past experiences and valid opinions, to really know that and apply it is profound. Part of me is so excited to watch my babies grow up and emerge, so I can get to know them for who they really are. Part of me wants them to stay small and cuddly and innocent forever. I suppose those feelings are part of the personhood of mothers everywhere. I know it will be the former instead of the latter. I am grateful for the opportunity to be part of the experience.

What are you blessed with today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share: