Wednesday, May 25

Delegation

I am in charge of my family reunion. We have it every two years. The reunion happening this July will be our fifth one. This year, my youngest sister has volunteered to be my sidekick.

I am grateful beyond words for this.

Actually, she called me and asked to be assigned something. Her husband is working an internship this summer, and she is bored. So, I gave her something to work on. And she called back asking for more. I spent the better part of this morning on the phone with her, talking reunion activities and meal plans and various "plan B" ideas and contingency plans.

I love planning reunions. I love my family. It is so much fun for me to dream up fun stuff for us to do, and the actual event of getting together means more to me than just about anything. But as the weeks go by and the reunion gets closer, I start getting worked up about stupid stuff, and bogged down on minor details, and I easily lose sight of the big picture. Having a cohort with too much free time on her hands is such a blessing.

I am grateful for delegation. I am not very good at it, because I am a micro-managing,  megalomaniacal fool. Of course, in hindsight, I can always see the virtues of recruiting help from those around me. I am practicing seeing it in foresight, as well. I am grateful for my youngest sister, who actually begged to help. I am grateful for a family that likes each other enough to actually want to get together for a reunion. I am grateful for a husband who supports me in heading up the reunions over and over and over, and who knows when to help me breath through a tense moment or two, and when to grab me by the shoulders and shake some sense into me.

What are you blessed with today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share: