Sunday, July 10

Disaster-Free

I am one of the teachers in the Nursery at Church. This means I spend two hours with a room full of sweet, energetic, budding persons ages 18 months to 3 years. We sing, and play with toys, and build castles with blocks, and color pictures, and learn a (very short, very simple) lesson, and eat snacks.

Sometimes there are tears ("I want my mommy!"), sometimes there are ownership issues ("I had that car!"), sometimes there are pressing emergencies ("I have to go potty!").

Usually, it all goes well. But today, I was on my own. My fellow teacher was out of town. So it was just me. And seven little children of questionable communication skills.

It could have been a horrid, miserable two hours. But it wasn't. I'm not saying it was easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy, but it was surprisingly disaster-free. There were a few tense moments, but no one was damaged or offended, or even mildly traumatized.

I am grateful for a disaster-free Nursery day. I am glad for the extra help that came when I needed it (potty emergency!), and for the inspiration to keep conflict and drama at bay. I am grateful for the new little boy in our class, and for the two girls who keep it from being all about cars and bombs and explosions all the time. I will be really grateful when the other Nursery teacher gets back from Summer Vacation.

What are you blessed with today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share: