Sunday, April 24

Easter

As Easter draws to a close, I am introspective.

For me, this season is about rebirth, about the triumph of Christ over death and the grave, and His infinite Atonement and the gift of Resurrection for all of our Father in Heaven's children.

I try to play down the Rabbit/Candy/Egg stuff. Yes, new Easter clothing when we can afford it. Yes, egg hunts at Grandma's house. But I couch these events in other terms: new clothing can represent our rebirth as new creatures in Christ. Egg hunts with our cousins and aunts and uncles is about being with family, and families can be together forever because of the promise of Resurrection.

There were things I wanted to do this year that didn't happen. No sunrise family devotional (we slept in), no special moment where we gathered our children around and retold the Easter story (Grandma did that with all the cousins, after dinner but before the egg hunt). But it was still Easter.

I am grateful for Easter, for the Holy Week each year that helps me to focus on Christ, on His ministry and mission, and on His sacrifice and gift to us all. I am grateful (once again!) for my incredible and singular family, and that we can indeed be together forever. I am grateful that holidays and traditions don't rest solely on my shoulders, that others help to make it special and memorable for my children.

What are you blessed with today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share: