Wednesday, April 27

Open Thank You Note: Patty & the Ski Coat

Dear Patty,

Do you remember that Sunday when you asked me how I felt about hand-me-downs? You seemed worried that you would hurt my feelings. Your daughter had outgrown her ski coat and matching ski pants. Did I want them? Would my daughter fit them?

That coat and pair of ski pants have been such a blessing. Not only did they fit my girl, but they were fabulously pink, so she loved them unequivocally. And when she out-grew them, they were passed down to the next girl. and the next.

This morning, I put the coat in the wash, getting it ready to go into winter storage. It struck me that this ski set is on its fourth owner and still just as fabulous. All of the zippers still work, the elastic is all still, uhm, elastic, there are no holes or stains, the colors are still bright and crisp, the hood is still attached.

I have five daughters, and it looks like this coat and these pants will hold up to use for all of them. The value of this is not lost on me. This gift you gave me has made each of my daughters feel pretty, kept them warm, and enabled them to enjoy hours of outdoor winter fun. It has saved me (a lot of) money, which always makes me happy.

Thank you, Patty. Thank you for thinking of me and my (at the time) little family, and for approaching me in the first place, even though you thought I might be offended. Every Fall, when I take the coats and gloves and snow boots out of storage, I shake this coat out and think of you and your friendship and gentle kindness.

Love,
   Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share: