Friday, February 25

Winter's Last Hurrah

That's my mother's phrase. I grew up hearing it: "Let's hope this is Winter's last hurrah." Of course, I grew up in the Rocky Mountains, so she usually said it in March, not February.

I'm not particularly happy about the five inches of snow. But I'm not complaining. I really do hope it is Winter's last hurrah. Particularly after the balmy, beautiful days we had last week. Either way, February is almost over. Spring is coming, I know it. And the snow has pointed out many things I am thankful for:

I am thankful for beauty. Five inches of snow is much easier on the eyes than brown, brown, dead, muddy, and brown.

I am thankful for safety in travel. Lots of people I love have to be out on the highways. Even though I don't have to go anywhere, I am thankful for the safety of those I love.

I am thankful I don't have to go anywhere.

I am thankful for children who are willing to come work with me in the kitchen. Whenever a snowstorm hits, I get the urge to go bake something. Several somethings. Walking into a warm kitchen full of lovely smells and yummy eats sooths the soul when nasty weather is raging outside.

I am thankful for online recipe contributers. Don't laugh. Hundreds and hundreds of people have taken the time to type up their favorite recipes and share them online with the world. And I love it. I love being able to plop down, type what I've got a hankering to bake into a search engine, and have dozens of recipes to choose from. Our grandmothers were never so blessed!

I am thankful for fuzzy socks. I hate cold feet. I love my warm, comfy fuzzy socks. I miss them during the Summer, and always smile when the weather turns and I can pull them back out. Really, I am thankful for all the small, warm comforts of winter: fuzzy socks, hot chocolate, snuggling under poofy blankets, the irresistible warmth and comfort of a fire in the hearth.

So, I guess I am grateful for Winter's last hurrah. It helps me count my blessings.  I will be glad when Winter really is over, but I know that I will be looking forward to it by the end of August.

What have you been blessed with today?

1 comment:

  1. I'm so grateful for the humility to forgive. Recently a friend of mine that used to be a very good friend apologized for some hurts. Even though I'd forgive my friend a long time ago in my heart, it was still very comforting to hear that from them, and to have the pleasure of saying that I had already forgotten it. I know that it brought that person a lot of comfort and relief from guilt. I'm grateful for my friends. And I'm grateful for the humility and the patience to be forgiving.

    ReplyDelete

Please share: