Friday, June 17

Open Windows

It's June, and I am into my climate control groove. When it is cool out, I open the windows and turn on the fans. It is time to air out this house! When it warms back up enough for me to notice, I close the windows  and curtains and blinds on the sunny side of the house. I'm way into that passive solar gain and loss stuff. And as a last, sweltering resort, I will turn on the air conditioning.

Rinse. Repeat.

I really like having air conditioning. I just don't like having to use it. It's one of those things where I'm glad to have it when I need it, but sure hope I won't need it...kinda like CPR training.

Of course, I am going to need it. It's summer! I would simply rather not. It's a bit of bother, that window-fan-a/c routine, but it is worth it to me.

I love fresh air. I love how my house smells with all the windows open and the breezes blowing through. I will leave windows up in the rain if I can get away with it, and I will keep them open when the temperatures dip and tell anyone who complains about it to put on a hoodie (within reason, of course).

The weather has been so lovely, my windows have been open more than they've been closed. It's so nice. It won't last, of course, because June doesn't last.

I am grateful for open windows. I am grateful for windows that actually open. Once, I lived in a house where the windows had been painted shut, and it took my husband and some serious tools to get them open.

And, while I am being truthful, I really am grateful for air conditioning. I love that feeling of "aaaahhhh, thank heavens!" when I walk from a sweltering day into a cool cloud of comfort. Even so, I am grateful for what my open windows do for my energy bill. I am a creature of comfort.

What have you been blessed with today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share: